How do I handle slippage while placing market orders on Bybit ?

Leroy

Rookie
Jul 18, 2023
I'm new to Bybit and I'm having some trouble understanding how to handle slippage when placing market orders. I know that slippage is the difference between the expected price of a trade and the price the trade is actually executed at, but how do I manage it when using Bybit? Are there any settings I can adjust to reduce slippage? Also, what strategies can I use to avoid it altogether? Any advice from experienced traders would be much appreciated.

• Wow
Reactions: BitNinja91

Binance-USD

Super Mod
Super Mod
Jul 10, 2023
Slippage is the difference between the expected price of a trade and the actual price at which the trade is executed. It occurs when there is a large difference between the price at which a trader wants to buy or sell a cryptocurrency and the price at which the trade is actually filled. Slippage, Market Order, Bybit

Slippage can be a major problem for traders on Bybit, as the platform does not provide any protection against it. However, there are a few ways to mitigate the effects of slippage.

First, traders should be aware of the current market conditions and the liquidity of the market they are trading in. If the market is highly liquid, then the chances of slippage occurring are much lower.

Second, traders should always use limit orders instead of market orders. Limit orders guarantee the price at which the order will be filled, and thus reduce the chances of slippage.

Third, traders should be aware of the current order book and the volume of orders in the order book. If the order book is thin, then there is a greater chance of slippage occurring, as there may not be enough buyers or sellers to fill the order at the desired price.

Finally, traders should always use a stop-loss order to protect themselves from large losses due to slippage. A stop-loss order will automatically close a position if it reaches a certain price level, thus limiting the potential losses due to slippage.

UMA

Qualified
Jul 10, 2023
Slippage

Slippage is a common problem in the world of cryptocurrency trading. Slippage occurs when the price of a cryptocurrency has shifted between the time an order is placed and the time it is executed. This can cause a trader to purchase or sell a cryptocurrency at a different price than they intended, resulting in losses or gains that were not anticipated.

How to Handle Slippage on Bybit?

Bybit is a cryptocurrency exchange that offers a range of trading features, including market orders. Market orders are orders that are filled immediately at the best available price, meaning the trader does not have to wait for a certain price to be offered before executing the trade. However, because market orders are filled instantly, slippage can occur if the price has shifted between the time the order was placed and the time it was filled.

Fortunately, Bybit offers several ways to minimize slippage and protect traders from unexpected losses. For starters, traders should use limit orders instead of market orders whenever possible. Limit orders allow traders to specify the exact price at which they want to buy or sell a cryptocurrency, meaning they will not be subject to any slippage.

Another way to minimize slippage on Bybit is to use the “Iceberg Order” feature. This feature allows traders to place larger orders in smaller increments, which helps to prevent slippage as the order is filled in stages.

Finally, Bybit also offers a “Post-Only” feature which prevents slippage by ensuring that orders are not filled until the price is exactly as specified. This feature is particularly useful for traders who are placing large orders.

Conclusion

Slippage can be a major source of losses for cryptocurrency traders, but it can be minimized by using the features offered by Bybit. Traders should use limit orders whenever possible, and can also take advantage of Bybit’s Iceberg Order and Post-Only features to further reduce their exposure to slippage.

[VIDEO]