How to Plan a Circuit to Mitigate Attacks in Web3 (Interview)

Crystal

Crypto News Squad
Jul 17, 2023
”editorials”

How to Plan a Circuit to Mitigate Attacks in Web3 (Interview)

In the rapidly evolving Layer 2 networking environment, Zircuit aims to create a new approach to security and scalability. Co-founder Martin Derka, a seasoned professional with a PhD in algorithms and complexity, sat down with us for an interview during EthCC. Derka shared insights into his journey, the founding of Zircuit, including the significance of the $3 billion ETH invested in the project, and most importantly, the anticipated launch date of Zircuit’s mainnet.

A number of well-known investors, including Binance Labs, Nomad Capital, AMBER, and many more, participated in the protocol’s mainnet funding round.

From Football to Crypto

Martin Derka’s journey into the crypto world began after an unexpected turn in his career. “I have a PhD in algorithms and complexity,” Derka said, detailing his academic background. “I was developing software for various companies while I was a student for many years.” His transition from academia to entrepreneurship was marked by his role as CTO of a startup focused on automotive advertising photography, which he co-founded in 2013. However, after internal disagreements led to his departure in 2017, Derka sought new opportunities and eventually found his own path into the crypto sphere.

“After leaving the startup, I went to Argentina and Chile to clear my head,” Derka said. “When I got back to Canada, I connected with Leo (Leonardo Passos, Ph.D.), an old football buddy of mine and a senior at crypto auditing giant Quantstamp.” That chance meeting led to Derka joining Quantstamp as one of its first hires in 2018, where he delved deeper into crypto security.

The Birth of the Circuit

Derka’s tenure at Quantstamp laid the foundation for Circuit. “We at Quantstamp knew that aggregations would be key to scaling Ethereum,” Derka said. This realization sparked intense research into aggregations, which eventually led to the founding of Circuit. “We saw a great opportunity to proactively improve blockchain security,” Derka said. “That’s how the feature that now sets Circuit apart — sorter-level security — started.”

‘Many Uses of AI Seem Made Up’

The most striking feature of Circuit is its AI-powered security mechanism and sequencer-level security, a concept that Derka has worked on extensively.

“Our sorter evaluates every transaction for malicious intent before it’s included in the block,” Derka said. “We use AI to simulate transactions and assess their impact, determining whether they’re hacks or not.” This proactive approach allows Zircuit to quarantine potentially malicious transactions, improving the overall security of the blockchain.
The sorter is a privileged node designed to collect user transactions and sort them according to predefined rules. Essentially, when a transaction reaches the sorter, it is directed to the “Malicious Detection” module, which the team calls an “oracle.” It is designed to determine whether a transaction is harmless or potentially malicious. Those that are benign are queued to be included in the block, while those that are flagged are directed to another module called the “Quarantine Release Criteria” module. It acts as a holding area during the time these transactions go through a rigorous verification process.

In the overview provided by Zircuit, the following can be seen:

When asked about the widespread AI hype, Derka acknowledged the phenomenon but remained pragmatic. “There’s a lot of excitement,” he admitted. “Many uses of AI seem bogus, and AI can be very buggy. But failure is part of innovation. If we don’t try to apply AI in every possible area, we could miss its true potential.”

L2s: Do We Really Need This Much?

Amidst a crowded field of competitors, Circuit positions itself as a Layer 2 (L2) solution with a strong emphasis on security. Derka was clear about the inevitability of multi-L2 solutions. “If we didn’t build another L2, someone else would,” he said. “The question of why users should choose Circuit over others is better, and that comes down to our unique security proposition.”

Despite the competitive market, Derka does not foresee a winner-take-all scenario.

“Technologists love to build and compete,” he argued. “There will always be new players challenging the status quo.”
Circuit: When Mainnet Starts

Circuit’s immediate focus is on launching its Mainnet, which has already reached significant milestones. “We launched our Testnet last year, which has been very stable,” Derka said. “We are currently in the process of deploying the Mainnet, integrating partners, and making sure security measures are in place.”

The Mainnet Phase 1 launch is planned for mid-August-mid-July in gated mode, with a wider public launch expected to follow in mid-August. “We are also working on optimizing zero-knowledge proof generation to reduce operating costs and increase efficiency,” Derka added. This technical development is crucial to the blockchain’s functionality and user experience.

Over $3 trillion worth of ETH staked

Derka acknowledges the challenges of sustaining Zircuit’s early success: While over $3 billion in re-staking Ether (at its peak) indicates strong interest, the real test will be retaining those funds post-launch. “This is the best signal we have right now, but it’s not a guarantee of success,” Derka cautioned. “Our mission is to support projects implemented on Circuit, ensuring they attract and retain capital.”

Zircuit aims to create a robust ecosystem that encompasses all core blockchain functions. “We want a fully functional ecosystem that can be compared to other chains, with lending protocols, oracles, DEXs, and stablecoins,” Derka said. The security aspect remains a key differentiator, offering users and developers a more secure environment for their projects.

SPECIAL OFFER (Sponsored)
binance Free $600 (CryptoPotato Exclusive): Use this link to register a new account and get a special welcome offer of $600 on Binance (full details).

LIMITED OFFER 2024 on bydfi Exchange: Welcome reward up to $2,888, use this link to register and open a free 100 USDT-M position!

”editorials”

#Plan #Circuit #Mitigate #Attacks #Web3 #Interview

Who Is Reading The Topic (Total:0)