Alex Tapscott’s new book reveals the state of Web3

Hedget

Qualified
Jul 10, 2023
Alex Tapscott’s new book reveals the state of Web3

Newcomer to the world of blockchain and cryptocurrencies, Alex Tapscott doesn’t have a fancy background in the blockchain world. He co-authored an international bestselling book on the subject, founded a blockchain research think tank, and as Managing Director of Ninepoint Partners, Tapscott brought digital assets to markets in his native Canada.

new book, Web3: Charting the Internet’s Next Economic and Cultural Frontier—Released today from HarperCollins; The sequel to the bestselling book of 2016 Blockchain revolution by providing a clear explanation of the main topics in the Web3 industry today for a mass audience.

Tapscott spoke CryptoSlate He will share his vision of how blockchain and cryptocurrencies will shape businesses and society in this new era of the internet.

The Promise and Problems of the Early Internet

When Tapscott first became interested in Bitcoin (BTC) in 2013, he saw it primarily as a new type of payment network. But like many, his thinking evolved as he realized that the potential of blockchain technology went far beyond finance. As Tapscott says, “This is a general-purpose technology that will have a very broad impact on every industry in the world.”

According to Tapscott, the early promises of the internet have remained largely unfulfilled. While the web provides easy access to information and publishing, most of the value has accrued to a handful of large platforms such as Facebook, Google, Amazon and Apple.

Tapscott’s book argues that new technologies such as cryptocurrencies, decentralized finance (DeFi), and non-fungible tokens (NFTs) enable new models of digital ownership. These new models are, as Tapscott puts it, “I think we’re going to go to a world where these arteries of online commerce and these financial intermediaries are less powerful, they deal with less value, they have less major impact economically in the world.”

A Pragmatic Approach to Web3

Tapscott positions himself as a pragmatist when it comes to Web3. The Blockchain Research Institute he founded helps stakeholders incorporate blockchain into their existing businesses.

As Tapscott explains, “It’s a toolkit. This is the Web3 toolset. “It’s a box full of toys and tools that you can reach into and find that there’s something really useful in there for your job.”

He points out that companies like PayPal, Visa, Nike, and LVMH are already pulling valuable tools from the Web3 toolkit without needing to be “all-in-one.”

However, Tapscott foresees a future in which the power of today’s internet giants will diminish due to the innovations of Web3. Still, he doesn’t see traditional models being discarded and replaced overnight. As he colorfully puts it, “The golden goose may die of old age, but you don’t need to take it to the chopping block, do you?”

Why Web3 Represents the Next Frontier

Tapscott compares Web3 to the boundary, which is a deliberate and intentional metaphor. he tells CryptoSlate:

Borders attract dreamers, visionaries, attract fools and gullibles, attract criminals and swindlers, and also attract hard-boiled businessmen who often create enormous wealth within these borders. I think that’s probably true here… to simplify this a bit more, I’d say the Web3 world can probably be divided into missionaries, mercenaries, and pragmatists, and I see myself in the third place.
Missionaries and mercenaries occupy the extreme ends of the spectrum, motivated by pure idealism or opportunism. While pragmatists occupy the reasonable middle, they are still sympathetic to the missionary vision of a better digital world.

Tapscott also discusses today’s widespread concern about the impact of technology on democracy, social discourse, creators’ livelihoods, and economic concentration. Although Web3 stemmed from similar concerns after the 2008 financial crisis, Tapscott says the criticism has expanded to include the power of technology platforms, saying:

“If we do this right, there is an opportunity to rewrite the economic power grid and the old order of human relations for the better. I think this technology can be a really critical part of this.
Tapscott sees Web3 as the first wave of technologies that emerged with the equal distribution of human capital and technology tools around the world. “I see these frontier pioneers happening all over the world,” He says.

Tapscott states that borders carry risks as well as opportunities. He hopes his new book can be a guide to unlocking the positive potential of Web3 while avoiding its pitfalls. If Tapscott is successful in this educational mission, it could solidify his reputation as the leading mainstream author in the field of blockchain technology and Web3.

Web3: Drawing the Internet’s Next Economic and Cultural Frontier It is out today from HarperCollins and is available from major bookstores worldwide.

”interviews”

#Alex #Tapscotts #book #reveals #state #Web3